Tattoo Ideas: Bible Verses - becauseilive on HubPages

I was raised in a very Catholic family that practiced trust, forgiveness, and unconditional love. My grandmother, who was my guiding light all throughout my life, was a devoutly religious woman who would have become a nun had she not wanted to start a family so desperately. She was steadfastly married to my grandfather for 56 years, had 4 kids and 11 grandchildren, and brought up each and every one of us to be strong, faithful adults.

On the day of my first Holy Communion, my Godmother gave me a Bible, and my grandmother gave me one of those little bookmarks that tells you, If you are feeling hopeless, read 2 Corinthians 4:16-18. Even as a child with a limited understanding of the world, I still felt bouts of pain, depression and fear, and I turned to that bookmark frequently, reading and re-reading the words that would encourage me to move forward. It's been 20 years, and I still have the same Bible and the same bookmark. It's page are well worn for how many times I've opened to specific verses seeking comfort, especially Corinthians and Psalms.

Some Christians argue that it is against the word of the Lord to carve anything into your flesh; other Christians say, "Why not? Why not go crazy for God?" Instead of having to find a Bible and open to your favorite page, or recite it from memory, why not just tattoo the quote somewhere on your skin, that way you can always see it when you need it most?

Psalms Tattoos

The Book of Psalms consists of 150 poems in the Christian Bible. The term psalms translates to "song" or "hymns" from both Hebrew and Greek. Most psalms are thought to have been written in the very early times of ancient Israel, possibly during the first millennium B.C.

Best Inspirational Psalms Verses

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path. (Psalms 119:105)

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer. (Psalms 19:14)

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. (Psalms 23:1)

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea. (Psalms 46:1)

Book of Genesis Tattoos

The Book of Genesis is the very first book of the Hebrew Bible. From the Greek meaning "origin", the Book of Genesis describes how, on the first day, God created the Heavens and the Earth. He goes on to create Adam, and Eve (using a rib from Adam's body), and gives them the entire paradise of earth to live in. He warns them, however, to stay away from one particular tree which, when tempted by the serpent living within it, they are unable to resist. They betray God and are banished from the Garden of Eden. The Book of Genesis goes on to detail the story of Noah and the Ark, and the geneology of several generations of descendents of Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel, and Abraham.

Book of Genesis verses

So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. (Genesis 1:27)

As long as the earth endures, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night will never cease. (Genesis 8:22)

I will make you into a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing.I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you. (Genesis 12:2)

Previous
Next Post »