Tattoo Ideas: Words & Phrases II - becauseilive on HubPages

Written by: Jaclyn Popola

To me there is nothing more beautiful than the written word personified, inked permanently onto one's skin as a necessary wound that is not meant to heal. Images are lovely as well, a properly done tattoo can evoke feelings of remembrance and inspiration. But there is something about tattoos of words, quotes, verses, lyrics and phrases that captivates me time and time again. And there is something unique about the individuals who decide to ink such words onto their skin, something noble in believing in a sentence so strongly that you are compelled to emblazon it across your chest. Presently on my back I have two sets of words: "i only want now" on the lower portion and "wake your dreams" at the nape of my neck. I have this idea that I will cover the entire expanse of skin from shoulders to hip bones with a collage of words; different fonts, different sizes, different meanings. I have read so many books and identified with so many quotes, I don't know how I'll pick just a few but I am compelled to immortalize great works on my mortal frame. I think it was the ancient Buddhist monks who practiced the art of tattooing, and believed it was necessary to have a scar in this life that would be carried with you, and would prepare you, for the next. It was called a "beautiful wound."

It is very popular these days to get tattoos written in a language that is not your native tongue. Be very careful in these situations that the words you are getting translate correctly into the meaning you chose. Start out with an online translator like babelfish.altavista.com. Once the site produces the translation, double check it's validity with a reputable source. A family member who speaks the language, a regional chat room, or a professor who teaches the language in question are all possibilities. To be safe, make sure that at least two separate sources confirm the accuracy of the translation before going ahead and getting it tattooed. I have a Polish quote that wraps around my upper arm, and one time I was at the Wendy's drive-thru and the cashier was a Polish girl who noticed my tattoo and leaned in closer to read it. I was terrified as she read it aloud, wondering, "Oh my God, what if it's wrong? What if it doesn't mean what I wanted it to mean?!" Luckily, my translation was correct, and she understood it's meaning. But imagine how embarrassing it would be if you got a tattoo and then years later a stranger is the one to inform you that the meaning marked permanently into your skin actually makes no sense at all.

((IMAGES COURTESY OF BMEZINE.COM))

Previous
Next Post »