Tattoos: A 21st Century Perspective. - Kendall Goodwin

Photobucketvia

I have a fascination with tattoos. Ive gotten really into reading the Tattoo Tuesday feature on Sometimes Sweet, and its so interesting to see so many different tattoos on so many different people, and to read about their significance and the process of being tattooed.

Ive been thinking a lot lately about the stigma surrounding tattoos and how silly it is. Quick anecdote: toward the end of high school, I told my mom that I wanted to get a full sleeve tattoo (sort of joking) and she almost started crying. I think she was concerned that I a) wanted to ruin my body with tattoos, b) was being openly rebellious, and c) would never get a job if I had tattoos.

Photobucketvia

The distrust/suspicion of people with visible tattoos seems to be a generational thing: I know lots of peoples parents who think that tattoos are only for hoodrats, but very few people my own age who feel the same way. And while there are some instances in which tattoos are an act of rebellion, I think they more commonly serve as symbolic art. People get tattoos to commemorate life milestones, to remember their heritage or people theyve lost, to remind themselves that they can be the best versions of themselves, to say with art what they cant say verbally. There will always be nimrods who get dumb tattoos that dont mean anything to them, but for the most part, getting a tattoo is often more intentional and thoughtful than that.

I think tattoos can be really beautiful, and I dont think it detracts anything from a person when they have tattoos. Its not like your personality does a 180 when you get a tattoo; of all the people I know with tattoos, they have all stayed the same people they were pre-tat. The only difference is that they have some amazing artwork on their body now. If youre so focused on thinking that nice-looking people are ruining their bodies with tattoos, youll never be able to see the beauty and meaning in what theyve chosen to make part of their body. And as for the youll-never-get-a-job argument, I think thats a pretty dated viewpoint. This is the 21st century, people: the word tattoo is not synonymous with unemployment. I have tattooed friends and they all manage to work for a living. Older folks will still hold onto their negative opinions regarding tattoos, but as my generation grows older, I suspect that tattoos will become more and more innocuous until theyre just a common everyday thing, like pierced ears, that fails to offend anyone. And if an employer cant look past your tattoos to see your qualifications and personality, then that particular job probably wouldnt be a good fit for you, anyway.

Photobucketvia

Kaelah of Little Chief Honeybee was featured on Tattoo Tuesday, and I think she sums it up best:

Undoubtedly, heavily tattooed people will run into the more conservative types who think if youre tattooed then youre quite obviously in a biker gang or recently sprung from prison, but I think thats one reason Im so drawn to the lifestyle. I wear dresses every day; I dont even own a pair of pants. I try to portray myself as a classy young lady and full of femininity. I try to show the naysayers that they couldnt be more wrong about tattooed women (or people in general). The most common thing I get is How are you going to find a job?! but I simply assure them that I have chosen a field which is much more understanding of body modifications and if I had to hide who I was at work, how on earth could I be happy doing that for a living?

Im right there with ya, girl. Truer words were never spoken.

Previous
Next Post »