Floral Tattoos - Tattoo Meanings Inspire Tattoo Ideas and

Flora images are used frequently in tattooing, especially floral tattoos (flower tattoos) and tree tattoos. Sometimes the plant is the centerpiece of the tattoo, while other times flowers, vines, and trees are used as the backdrop in a larger floral tattoo.

In Roman mythology, Flora was actually a goddess associated with spring. Annual festivals were held in her honor. Despite her honored role, she was often portrayed as a courtesan or prostitute. This reflected not only the moral sentiments of ancient Rome, but also showcased springtime as feminine, desirous, and connected to procreation.

Floral tattoos and cultures

Most common in tattooing are floral designs. This is not surprising, as flowers play an important role in all cultures.

In his worldwide travels, anthropologist Jack Goody observed flower rituals across the globe, including Bali, China, Asia, India, the Sahara, the Mediterranean, Europe, and North America. Different cultures focus most on plants unique to their geographic location. For example, he noticed fewer flower rituals in Africa, as the residents were more interested in local trees and barks (since they are a source of food and medicine). Still, flower rituals were present. And these rituals have been with us for centuries.

Evidence shows that, 100,000 years ago, Neanderthals placed flowers on graves to honor the dead. That ritual continues worldwide today. From the Hanging Gardens of Babylon to the Rose Garden at the United States White House, flowers help define who we are.

Symbolism in Flower Tattoos

Universally, flowers are symbols of youth, vitality, new life, and victory over death. Bridesmaids carry flowers at weddings as a sign of femininity and fruitfulness.

Most cultures associate flowers with the sun. Many say that the rebirth of flowers in the spring is a sign that God is pleased. Flower tattoo designs can emphasize any or all of those universal features.

More than anything, flowers mean love. For Hindus, the White Jasmine most symbolizes love. In China, it is the peony. In Iran, wild olives.

"Long before FTD told us to 'Say It With Flowers' people everywhere associated symbolic meaning with flowers. And you can use flowers and 'Say It With a Tattoo'!".

Flower tattoos, though sometimes viewed as feminine, are appropriate for men and women alike. As you think about your tattoo design, realize that other cultures may have different associations for the flower than you do, or different associations for the flower colors you choose.

For example,

White flowers most often represent innocence, but can also represent death.

Red flowers usually mean vitality, but can also symbolize bloodshed.

Blue flowers symbolize devotion, but also secrecy.

In the links that follow, Tattoo Meanings will share a variety of stories and interpretations that can help you pick the appropriate flora or flower tattoo. The most common flora tattoo designs have their own category, followed by a miscellaneous grouping.

Upload Your Floral Tattoo Pictures

Send in your Floral tattoo pictures.

We are always looking for awesome art to add to the site. Maybe your tattoo upload will be best placed on one of our main pages. It's really easy to do. Just fill in the boxes and find the images you want to send in.

Upload as many times as you like!

Send them in and we will put them up!

What Other Visitors Have Said

Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...

Holly's Flower Tattoo Design 
Its my favorite! My flower tattoo design

Cherry Blossom Tattoo 
I found myself at 40 going through some much change in my life. Career, personal, even where I lived. I wanted a tattoo the symbolized the many changes

Vine and Leaves 
My sixth tattoo is a work in process. Along with my tattoo artist, we designed an original vine and leaves tattoo. It wraps around my right ankle up to

Hybrid Tea Roses and Cherry Blossoms Tattoo Not rated yet
This is a remembrance tattoo for my lost child through miscarriage as well as my belated grandmother. The Hybrid Tea Roses means "I will always remember

Birds and Flowers Tattoo Not rated yet
Birds and Flowers Tattoo - my brother..

Family Flower Tree Tattoo Not rated yet
Each flower represents a family member, rather than a birthstone, i selected the flower of each person's birth month.

Sunflower Tattoo Megan Not rated yet
I've always wanted a tattoo of a sun to represent light, good, and happiness but I chose a flower over it. I was debating between that and a rose, the

"Beautiful" Not rated yet
My tattoo symbolizes my personal connection with the song "Beautiful" by Christina Aguilera. My sister got the line "we are beautiful in every single way,

Nikitas Life and Family Tattoo Not rated yet
My First Tattoo.. The vines on the left, right and the top represent how busy life can be. There are 6 leaves in between the vines - one for my

"Sing Me To Sleep" Not rated yet
My tattoo has the "double" meaning of the daisy. It says "Sing Me To Sleep" because I survived a suicidal mind. On the one hand, my daisy tattoo represents

Heather Cherry Blossoms Tattoo Not rated yet
There are many different meanings for cherry blossoms...my favorites are femininity, sexuality and strength. This cherry blossoms tattoo covers my c-section

Flower Vine Tattoo Not rated yet
This in my Second tattoo saw it online and just took it to my local tattoo artist wanted something girly.... and got it.

Gothic Rose Tattoo Not rated yet
It was very exhilarating experience. I'd like to think that the Gothic Rose Tattoo chose me - with all the different types of images out there. I'm getting

Different Flowers Tattoo Not rated yet
i started on my side piece about 2 years ago it began with a tiger lily then vines and small white jasmines were added a short time after a hibiscus was

Jessiicaaa Rose Tattoo Not rated yet
I was 16 years of age when I got my 1st tattoo.. My mum always said that she didn't like them and I wasn't allowed to get any. Then on the 13th of June

rose always has its thorn Not rated yet
My tattoo I got with a friend whether or not I hate her she will always be a stepping stone in my life and a rose has many meanings.. The color is for

Click here to write your own.

Previous
Next Post »