A CUP OF JO: What are your favorite baby names ?

Do you want to see the top 100 baby names of 2014?

Sophia is still at the very top of the list! It has been the #1 girls' name for the past five years!
When I was pregnant with Anton, Alex and I debated names for the entire nine months. We had a short list (Sasha, Julian, Lucien...), but when our baby was born, he had such a masculine face that those names ended up somehow feeling too feminine for him. We scrapped them all and remained stumped.

Fast-forward to our second night in the hospital: Alex had brought take-out sushi to my room, and I nursed the baby while we racked our sleepy brains for a new name. Elliott? James? Charles? Suddenly Alex looked up: "What about Anton?" And that was it. Anton was a lovely strong nameand also reminded me of a warm, funny friend I'd had in college, so it had a great connotation.

And it's funny how well it fits him. Babies really seem to grow into their names, don't you think? I can't imagine him with any other name now!

Do you have any favorite baby names? What are your children's names? Do you mind if their names are popular?

P.S. The BEST baby name book, and the blind date test for choosing baby names.

(Top photo of my dad with my sister and me. Name list via BabyCenter)

Previous
Next Post »