tattoo - The World's Best Ever: Design, Fashion, Art

tattoo-preservation

The Foundation for the Art and Science of Tattooing is a one-year old project that focuses on preserving willing participants tattoos after theyve passed away. By essentially turning plots of skin into plastic, the foundation aims to immortalize the art form.

The image above was cut from a 19th-Century Polish prisoner after they were deceased.

handpoker

Adding some flare to a traditional tattooing device, the Handpoker is a 3D printed stainless steel implement of ink by the Brooklyn design studio Death at Sea.

via, coolhunting

tom-chippendale-flash-us
 
For our series, FlashUs, we ask some of our favorite tattoo artists to create a design based on a classic themenaked ladies. This week, Tom Chippendale sent us the above. 
 
What was the first tattoo you received?

Luckily I waited until I was 18 for my first tattoo and didnt get any of the stupid stuff I wanted when I was young. I traveled to the next city and got some script down my forearms. No love No hope from the Converge song home wrecker. I thought I was hot shit after getting my first tattoo. Years on, I wish I had saved my forearms for something better, but theyre a reminder of my youth. My brother introduced me to the band and it shaped my formative years and a youth spent at Hardcore shows with my friends. So although it looks out of place, they now hold a lot of memories.
 
What made you get into tattooing?

I wasnt good at anything but drawing. I used to buy every tattoo magazine I could just to see over the things tattooists were doing. I started drawing tattoo designs before I was young enough to get them. Drawing dragons on my schoolmates arms. I got my apprenticeship whilst in university studying illustration, so it seemed like a viable career whilst we were in a recession.
 
Where did you learn the craft? Was there anyone you apprenticed for?

I started learning at a local shop but was given the boot. I then hung around One Shot Charlies getting tattooed and asking the boss Lee Pound for help getting a portfolio together, never thinking Id get a job there. He told me what to change with my portfolio and when I came in next offered me an apprenticeship after seeing I could do what I was told. After 2 something years of mopping floors and another 2 of working as a full artist Im here now.
 
What was the first tattoo you ever did? 

A rose on my leg during my apprenticeship. I was a nervous wreck and dropped my machine half way through. For all the nerves it didnt actually turn out too badly and its good to look at to see how far I have progressed.
 
How did you come to settle on a style and do you have any favorite motifs?

I learned to draw a tattoo the right way from tracing everything Sailor Jerry has done. If you really want to learn traditional tattooing the right way then study the masters. After a while I started getting the hang of where shading should be and how to draw something that will stand the test of time. I dont do tattoos with 20 shades of colour, I do solid lines and 4 colours. Something so bold itll be carved into your bones when youre gone. Motifs wise, I read and study a lot of Wild West history and fiction. This has seeped its way into my tattooing. I try to put as much research into the subjects I tattoo as to not mess with anyones cultureespecially with the Native American, which I use a lot in paintings and tattooing. I get a lot of positive feedback from the native community, so I cant be doing too bad.
 
Is there one tattoo that you really want to do?

Anything western or with tits.
 
Tom tattoos out of One Shot Charlies in Stourbridge, UK, and you can follow him on instagram here.

 

Flash-Us--Katya-Krasnova
 
For our series, FlashUs, we ask some of our favorite tattoo artists to create a design based on a classic themenaked ladies. This week, Katya Krasnova sent us the above. Katya tattoos out of Kingdom Family in Kiev, Ukraine, and you can follow her here.
 
Years tattooing: 1

Tattooing out of: Kingdom Family in Kiev, Ukraine

First tattoo I ever did: First tattoo I did was one year ago on my boyfriend Gusak. It was a little skull. He is also a tattooer and the best teacher who taught me everything for all this time.
 
Zio / @zioxla

j-swaffer
 
For our series, FlashUs, we ask some of our favorite tattoo artists to create a design based on a classic themenaked ladies. This week, Jessica Swaffer sent us the above. Jessica tattoos out of Chapel Tattoo in Melbourne, Australia, and you can follow her here.
 
Zio / @zioxla

Flash-Us--Karl-Willmann
 
For our series, FlashUs, we ask some of our favorite tattoo artists to create a design based on a classic themenaked ladies. This week, Karl Willmann sent us the above. Karl tattoos out of Melbourne Tattoo Company in Australia, and you can follow him here.
 
Years tattooing: 3

Tattooing out of: Melbourne Tattoo Company, Melbourne, Australia

First tattoo I ever did: A little skull on a friend in the shop I apprenticed at. Not the greatest but a skull is always fun.
 
Zio / @zioxla
 

SKIN is a short film by Tom Gould that profiles Martyka Skin Dog Brandt, one of the founding members of New Zealands most notorious gang, the Mighty Mongrel Mob.

flash-us-tamara-santibanez
 
For our series, FlashUs, we ask some of our favorite tattoo artists to create a design based on a classic themenaked ladies. This week, Tamara Santibanez sent us the above. Tamara tattoos out of Saved Tattoo in Brooklyn, and you can follow her here. (She also has some great prints available here.)
 
Zio / @zioxla

Flash-Us-David-Schiesser

For our series, Flash Us, we ask some of our favorite tattoo artists to create a design based on a classic themenaked ladies. This week, David Schiesser sent us the above. David tattoos out of a private studio in Offenbach am Main, Germany, and you can follow him here.
 
Years tattooing: 2

Tattooing out of: Private studio in Offenbach am Main, Germany

First tattoo I ever did: First tattoo I ever did was on myselfat the same time it was my first to getit s a boring symmetrical piece of two quadrangles. Looks very OK today, mentioning that it was my first one.
 
Zio / @zioxla

fuck-the-world-gangster

Richard Magnan, an alleged member of Chicagos 2-6 street gang accidentally shot and killed his friend over the 4th of July weekend. Magnan, who told police he keeps a gun to protect himself from rivals was waving a pistol around in a Walgreens parking lot when it went off, striking his fellow gang member in the stomach. Surprisingly, this wont be Magnans first trip to prison, he was previously sentenced to eight years for his connection to a 2003 murder. FTW, indeed.

flash-us-cody-piotrowski

For our series, Flash Us, we ask some of our favorite tattoo artists to create a design based on a classic themenaked ladies. This week, Cody Piotrowski sent us the above. Cody lives and works in Riverside, CA.

Zio / @zioxla

luca-font-flash-us

For our series, Flash Us, we ask some of our favorite tattoo artists to create a design based on a classic themenaked ladies. This week, Luca Font sent us the above. Luca tattoos out of Oink Farm in Milan, and you can follow him here.

[Read more]

shon-lindauer-flash-us-tattoo

For our series, Flash Us, we ask some of our favorite tattoo artists to create a design based on a classic themenaked ladies. This week, Shon Lindauer sent us the above. Shon tattoos out of High Seas Tattoo Parlor in Hollywood, California, and you can follow him here.
 
Zio / @zioxla

sailor-jerry-ironside
 
Heres a cocktail inspired by the talk show that covered everything from women to politics
 
Old Ironsides
 
Ingredients

2 parts Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum
4 parts fresh pineapple juice
Soda water
 
Preparation

Build in a rocks-filled highball glass.
Top with soda water and garnish with a lemon wedge.
Get to talking and drinking.

henry-big-flash-us-tattoo-the-worlds-best-ever

For our series, Flash Us, we ask some of our favorite tattoo artists to create a design based on a classic themenaked ladies. This week, Enrico Grosso aka Henry Big sent us the above. Henry tattoos out of Jolie Rouge in London, and you can follow him here.

[Read more]

Previous
Next Post »